DO THE DEMOGRAPHIC
Unless you are living under a rock, you have most certainly heard a lot of the political discourse that has been going on in America. Unbelievable stuff. Lots of differences in opinion to say the least.
With what I write here, I try and steer clear of that. I write a music blog for fun. But I must say, music and politics do have their similarities…….A candidate’s relationship with his(or her) supporters has a lot in common with a rock star’s relationship with his fans. Furthermore, there are many similarities in how people make decisions and voice their opinions on what they like and dislike. It’s human nature folks!
Here are a few similarities I have noticed:
1) To a certain demographic, singing lovingly about Jesus and guns in the same sentence makes perfect sense.
2) You don’t have to look far to find someone that thinks everything should be free.
3) It’s Obama’s fault music sucks. Thanks Obama!
4) If you don’t know what you are doing, play LOUDER.
5) If you play something stupid, play it again and call it jazz. In fact, keep playing it. Eventually someone is going to call you a genius.
6) A very large number of us already know what kind of music we like. Look at you all high and mighty. Mr. wise guy….. Don’t confuse us with your talent.
7) The more rich uncles you have, the better your chances of becoming a rock star. If your uncle is in the music business. So much the better.
8) A dumb, shitty drummer only listens to himself.
9) Radio DJs don’t play what they like, they play what they’re told.
10) When faced with bad reviews, compare yourself to Ronald Reagan. I mean, The Beatles.